Name of Hospital: Riverview Psychiatric Center
Location: Augusta, ME, USA
- Portland Press Herald, “Maine psychiatric facility could lose $20 million,” August 2013
- Portland Press Herald, “Court master finds insufficient staffing, care at Maine psychiatric hospital,” November 2015: numerous issues found by oversight official, including lack of staff training and problems with restraint and seclusion, and some of the same problems that led the federal government to decertify Riverview in 2013.
- Portland Press Herald, “Legislative panel threatens LePage officials with subpoenas over psychiatric center,” December 2015: A legislative panel investigated the report submitted by Riverview oversight official, and voted to send subpoenas to the State Human Services Commissioner and the Riverview hospital superintendent after Gov. LePage refuses to allow them to comment.
- Portland Press Herald, “Our View: Plan by Maine DHHS to restore Riverview’s federal certification raises serious questions,” August 2016: Maine Department of Health and Human Services formed plans to create new facility on Riverview grounds to win back federal funds, but fails to detail who will run the facility and other important information.
- Portland Press Herald, “Report on Riverview Psychiatric Center shows need for fast action,” December 2016: oversight official said progress has been made, but not enough, as staffing and space issues persist. No mentions of restraint and seclusion made in article, but it seems unlikely that those issues resolved. Article reports that Gov. LePage and legislators were negotiating new facilities on Riverview grounds.
*Some other articles were written on the subject between December 2015 and August 2015; I picked the ones that seemed most pertinent. The Portland Press Herald allows 10 free articles a month if you wish to search “Riverview” on their website to find more articles.